The Pilgrim Way Church Trail

The Pilgrim Way Church Trail

Heritage Lottery Fund

St James' Church, Barton

Pilgrim Way Church Trail

When his career reached its peak, John Taylor decided to build a new church to replace the ancient chapelry, which existed in Barton.

St James’ is thought to be near the site of John Taylor’s parents’ cottage. Building work started in 1517, and was finished and believed to be dedicated in 1533 having taken only 16 years to build.

It is built of stone with embattled parapets and is surrounded on all sides by a well-kept churchyard and is in the Perpendicular style. 

The church exterior is very much as it would have looked when it was first built although the aisles have been widened and windows replaced.

St James' 360° Tour

 Take a 360° tour of St James' Church. 

Drag with the mouse (or a finger on a touchscreen device) to rotate the display and click (or tap) on the navigation icons to move from area to area. You can make the image full screen by clicking on the fullscreen button in the bottom right hand corner.

Further Information

Postcode:
DE13 8HU