The Pilgrim Way Church Trail

The Pilgrim Way Church Trail

Heritage Lottery Fund

St Stephen's Fradley

Pilgrim Way Church Trail

St. Stephen’s was built in 1861 to a design by T.W. Goodman of London, as a Chapel of Ease. Prior to its being built villagers would have travelled to nearby All Saints Church in Alrewas. The Rev. Hazelhurst  (vicar of Alrewas) was instrumental in getting St. Stephens built. At the time, the village was very small and based on an agricultural economy.

The Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield on 23rd May 1861. St Stephen’s unusual design and its position on the corner of Old Hall Lane has made it a landmark feature for the village. It has some interesting architectural features including the beautiful stained-glass windows, the impressive vaulted wooden roof and the pipe organ.

During the war the gable-end of the church cracked due to the vibrations from the numerous, low-flying bombers as they passed overhead from the nearby Fradley Airfield.

St Stephen's is open between 10am and 3pm each day.

St Stephen's 360° Tour

 Take a 360° tour of St Stephen's Church. 

Drag with the mouse (or a finger on a touchscreen device) to rotate the display and click (or tap) on the navigation icons to move from area to area. You can make the image full screen by clicking on the fullscreen button in the bottom right hand corner.

Further Information

Postcode:
WS13 8NL